People in detention

If someone living in your property goes into prison or is detained, and without them you are the only adult living in your home, you can apply for a 25 per cent discount on your council tax. 

If a property is left empty because the person who used to live there has gone into prison, or is detained under the Immigration or mental health acts, you can apply for an exemption.

You won't get the discount or exemption if the person is in prison for not paying their council tax.

People held under The Mental Health Act

When a person is held in a hospital or any other place under the Mental Health Act 1983 they may be disregarded for council tax purposes. This means they too would not be included when we count the number of occupants at the address.

If you think a member of your household should be disregarded contact the council tax team.

Contact the council tax team

Telephone: 01732 844522