Those with a severe mental impairment

You may be able to get a reduction in your council tax if an adult in your household is severely mentally impaired.

This includes severe, permanent mental health issues including Alzheimer’s and other forms of dementia.

Their condition must be confirmed by a doctor.

To qualify, the person must also be eligible for one of the following benefits:

  • short term or long-term incapacity benefit (IB)
  • employment and support allowance (ESA)
  • attendance allowance (AA)
  • severe disablement allowance (SDA)
  • the highest or middle-rate care component of disability living allowance (DLA)
  • personal independence payment daily living component at either standard or enhanced rate
  • an increase in disablement pension for constant attendance
  • the disability element of working tax credit
  • income support, which includes a disability premium because of incapacity for work
  • constant attendance allowance payable under the industrial injuries or war pension schemes
  • armed forces independence payment
  • unemployability supplement (abolished in 1987 but existing claimants remain entitled)

A reduction cannot be given if two or more people in the household are counted for council tax purposes.

To apply, download and complete our form. It will need to be signed by a doctor.

Download form

Contact the council tax team

Telephone: 01732 844522