Event hosting permissions

Last Updated:

As an event organiser, you need to provide a written event management plan to show how you will manage your event.

Depending on the event activities taking place, there may be a number of organisations that you need to contact, request permission from or consult.

You should leave plenty of time for your event management plan to be assessed, and if necessary for arrangements to be adjusted.


Below are some items that you will need to consider:

Landowner permission

The landowner needs to give you permission for your event to take place on their land.

If the land is ours, you need to complete a Public Open Spaces event application form. If your event is in one of our car parks or is likely to reduce the usual amount of parking spaces please also email your information to Technical Services.

Events on the highway

It is unlawful to interfere with the public highway (close a road) without a legal Order being in place, we may be able to assist with this.

Food safety

Event organisers must check that the caterers being used are food registered with their local authority. If you are organising your own catering make sure that the food is stored, prepared and handled hygienically.

Public safety

Event organisers must consider the safety of all those affected by their event. Advice is available from:

Alcohol and entertainment

If your event includes selling alcohol or providing entertainment you must apply for the correct licence.

Street collections

If you intend to hold a street collection to collect money or sell articles for the benefit of charitable or other purposes in a street or public place, you must apply for a Street Collection Permit.

Refuse collection

If access is not possible for refuse lorries due to your event, this may mean that refuse can not be collected. We may be able to assist with the supply, emptying and removal of wheelie bins and temporary recycling facilities. Please contact Waste Services.

Emergency services

As the event organiser you should bear in mind that the emergency services may need access. How you will enable this access must be considered before the event date, as obviously when they need access, it will be for an emergency.


Not everyone sleeps during the night. Shift workers, the elderly, those with an illness and those with young children can be easily disturbed. Care must be taken that your event does not become a nuisance.

Publicise your event

We publicise events on our website.