Haysden Country Park
Haysden Country Park lies on the western outskirts of Tonbridge. It covers an area of about 65 hectares and includes a range of natural habitats such as river, grassland, freshwater lakes, marshland and woodland. The site is designated as a Local Nature Reserve and in part a Site of Nature Conservation Interest. It has also been a Green Flag award park since 2006 and is a Natural England accredited park.
Haysden Country Park is owned and managed by Tonbridge and Malling Borough Council Leisure Services.
Opening and closing times
The park is open every day of the year.
Entrance gates are unlocked daily at 7.30am and locked at the times shown below. Closing times are displayed at the car park entrances, but will be no later than 9pm.
Closing times for 2022
- Monday 16 May to Sunday 14 August 9pm
- Monday 15 August to Sunday 18 September 8pm
- Monday 19 September to Sunday 23 October 7pm
- Monday 24 October to Sunday 29 January 2023 4.30pm
There is no call out facility if your car is left in the car park after it has been locked.
The car park has a height barrier (two metres) and is pay and display. A limited number of season tickets are available.
All money generated from parking charges help to maintain and improve the park.
Pay and display tickets must be purchased from the main car park for both Haysden Water and Audley Rise car parks.
Blue Badge parking
There are marked disabled bays in the main car park. Lakeside parking is also available for Blue Badge holders, with a RADAR key required to open the barrier by the toilets. Badge holders should clearly display their badge and clock.
Disabled access and facilities
- a disabled toilet is located near the main car park, a RADAR key is required
- accessible walks - the best accessible paths are compacted surface paths around Barden Lake. A shorter walk is available from the car park past the Stone Lock
- seating is available around Barden Lake
- Barden Lake lakeside parking, viewpoint and an accessible fishing platform can accessed with a RADAR key by unlocking the barrier by the toilets
See The RADAR key.
The play area is mainly surfaced with bark which gives limited access for wheelchair users and the visually impaired. Improvements to this are planned.
Waymarked trails have limited access for less able users with some unmade paths in the more distant parts of the site.
Six monthly newsletter
The twice yearly newsletter now replaces the old user panel. You can find the latest editions below:
Our next edition is due in Autumn 2022.
If you would like to receive this newsletter straight to your in-box contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Walking and cycling
Cycling is only permitted on Regional Cycle Route 12 between Tonbridge Castle and Penshurst Place. There are cycle racks beside the toilets.
Fishing and watersports
- fishing in this park is controlled by Tonbridge and District Angling and Fish Preservation Society. Day tickets are available from the bailiff at Barden Lake
- sailing - Tonbridge Town Sailing Club only
- triathlon open water swimming training with TriSwim. Swimming is only allowed under the supervision of this club
Other activities include:
- children's play area
- dog training classes - run by It's All Dog Fun (must be booked in advance)
- horse riding is limited to the marked bridle path in the park
- Nordic walking run by a concession NWUK Tonbridge. Sessions must be booked in advance. See NWUK Tonbridge on Facebook
Some activities are prohibited in the park:
- no unauthorised swimming - only TriSwim members at their sessions
- no fires (including barbeques)
- no unauthorised boating
- no model boating
- no camping
- no drones
- no motorbikes other than in the car park
It is important to consider water safety when visiting this park. When there is hot weather it is very tempting to cool off in public lakes, rivers, streams and ponds, especially for children and young adults. However this can be very dangerous, even fatal.
Guidance on staying safe around water is available from the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents.
The is an on-site cafe next to the car park which serves hot food and drinks.
Lower Haysden Lane