Improving energy efficiency

Find ways to save energy in your home

Improving energy efficiency helps to increases the comfort of your home and keeps costs down. A good way to start is to only use the energy you need, by switching to LED lights for example, and by making sure the heat you pay for is not escaping from your home. Fitting draught excluders around doors, letter boxes, and closing curtains can help to keep the cold air out and warm air in. Moving furniture away from radiators, will allow heat to circulate too.

The government GOV.UK offers information to help you energy retrofit your home. You can get recommendations for home improvements that could make your property cheaper to heat and keep warm.

For each recommendation you can see:

  • an estimated cost of making the improvement
  • how much you could save on your bills
  • next steps if you want to make the improvement

See Find ways to save energy in your home

What is retrofit?

Retrofit means introducing new materials, products or technologies to an existing building that will lower its energy use or change how the energy it uses is generated. Retrofit covers a wide range of measures from loft, floor and wall insulation to solar panels.

The Energy Saving Trust is a well-established independent organisation that offers information and advice on:

  • heating your home
  • reducing home heat loss
  • generating renewable electricity
  • buying energy efficient products.

Is there funding to support energy efficiency and retrofitting?

A number of schemes are available to support retrofit and energy efficiency at home:


Who is it for?

Private renters

Home owners

Social housing

Energy Company Obligation (ECO)

Obliges energy suppliers to support energy efficiency measures to help improve low energy efficient homes occupied by low income, fuel-poor and vulnerable households.

Low-income households who live in a low energy efficient home with an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) rating of Band D to G.




The Great British Insulation Scheme

Obliges energy suppliers to support home insulation measures.

Homes in Council Tax band A to D with an EPC rating Band D-G.  




Boiler Upgrade Scheme

Grant to help with costs of replacing a fossil fuel (e.g. gas) boiler with a heat pump.

Property owners who are looking to upgrade or replace an existing boiler.




Social Housing Decarbonisation Fund

Funding to install energy performance measures in homes owned by social housing landlords.

Homes which have EPC rating Band D or below.




Housing Upgrade Grant

Grant funding offering home energy upgrades

Low-income, low energy efficient homes that are off gas grid.




Warm Homes Assistance

Financial help with ensuring your home is adequately heated and insulated.

Open to homeowners and private renters under the conditions listed within the link.




Solar Together

A group buying scheme for solar panels.

All residents who own their own house.




I live in a Listed or historic building or Conservation Area, is there anything I can do?

Successful energy efficiency and retrofit in historic buildings is possible by taking account of the age, materials and character of the building. Historic England provides a wealth of free resources, information and advice on draught-proofing, energy efficiency and renewable energy in historical buildings.

It is likely that works to Listed Buildings or unlisted buildings in Conservation Areas would require permission it is advisable to contact the our Planning Department's pre application service, who will be able to advise if permission is required.  Please be aware that there is a charge for this service.

Can I install solar panels on my home in a Conservation Area?

Class A of Part 14 of the Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) (England) Order 2015 enables the installation of microgeneration solar PV or solar thermal equipment on most domestic properties without requiring planning permission provided that the installation is no higher than the highest part of the original roof and would not protrude more than 0.2 metres above the existing roof slope.

If a property is located within a Conservation Area the above rules would only apply if the equipment was to be sited on a roof slope that does not front onto a highway.

Further information

Consumer guidance can help you with buying green heating and insulation products and to understand your key rights and protections under consumer law. The guide covers:

  • before you buy
  • when you’ve decided to buy
  • installation
  • post-installation
  • what to do if something goes wrong.

Contact the housing team

Telephone: 01732 844522