Help to improve cold or hazardous homes

We may be able to fund improvements or repairs in your home if your household meets certain criteria.

Warm homes assistance

You may be eligible for financial help with ensuring that your home is adequately heated and insulated if you are one of the following:

  • an owner occupier or a tenant in private rented accommodation in receipt of an energy company obligation (ECO) benefit or eligible for local authority flexible eligibility ECO
  • an owner occupier over 65 years of age with a specified medical condition, or have a serious long term health condition, or vulnerable children with respiratory conditions living with you in a cold home
  • a private sector landlord working with the council by accepting nominated tenants, or improving the energy performance certificate (EPC) rating of the property from a band F or G to a minimum band E where there is a ‘category 1 excess cold hazard’

Removing hazards in the home

If you have serious health and safety hazards in your home, such as dangerous wiring, a leaking roof or dangerous steps or stairs, we may be able to help fund improvements if:

  • you own or privately rent your home* ; and 
  • you are in receipt of means tested benefits or your property is currently empty and has been for more than six months 

* tenants renting privately are eligible to apply for funding where the have a responsibility to repair their home.

Contact the private sector housing team

Telephone: 01732 844522