Alcohol and entertainment licence

Last Updated:

Reopening of Licensed premises

With the reopening of licensed premises from the 4th July 2020, we have published the following guidance:

Guidance on Reopening a licensed premises

Guidance on Noise when reopening a licensed premises

Pavement Licensing

A pavement licence is a licence granted by the local authority, or deemed to have been granted, which allows the licence-holder to place removable furniture over certain highways adjacent to the premises in relation to which the application was made, for certain purposes.

A business which uses (or proposes to use) premises for the sale of food or drink for consumption (on or off the premises) can apply for a licence. Businesses that are eligible include: public houses, cafes, bars, restaurants, snack bars, coffee shops, and ice cream parlours.

A licence permits the business to use furniture placed on the highway to sell or serve food or drink and/or allow it to be used by people for consumption of food or drink supplied from, or in connection with the use of the premises.

Application form for a Pavement Licence

Guidance Notes

Draft Pavement Licensing Policy

National Conditions

Standard Conditions

Licensing Act 2003

A premises licence or a club premises certificate is required for premises that:

  1. Sale by retail of alcohol.
  2. Supply of alcohol by or on behalf of a club, or to the order of a member of a club.
  3. Provision of late night refreshment.
  4. Provision of regulated entertainment.

The types of entertainment regulated by the 2003 Act (as amended by the Live Music Act 2012 and the Licensing Act 2003 (Descriptions of Entertainment) (Amendment) Order 2013) are:

  • a performance of a play;
  • an exhibition of a film;
  • an indoor sporting event;
  • a boxing or wrestling entertainment;
  • a contest, exhibition or display which combines boxing or wrestling with one or more martial arts ("combined fighting sports");
  • a performance of live music ;
  • any playing of recorded music;
  • a performance of dance;
  • entertainment of a similar description to a performance of live music, any playing of recorded music or a performance of dance.

Statement of Licensing Policy

The current Statement of Licensing Policy covers the years 2014-2019.

Tonbridge & Malling Borough Council recognises that licensed premises are a major contributor to the Borough, attracting tourists and visitors and making for vibrant towns and communities. The Council also recognises the problems that can be caused if licensed activities are not properly managed and premises well run

This Policy Statement seeks to formulate reasonable controls and appropriate guidance to encourage efforts that are being made by the Council and its partners working together with the licensed trade to help deal with issues that arise from licensable activities.

Statement of Licensing Policy

Summary of new applications/variations

New, Varied and Review applications currently being processed

Detail of Applications

Review application

  • None


  • None

Minor Variations

  • None

New premises applications

  • None

You can apply, amend or renew your licence through the EUGO Portal.


Each premises will be allocated to a fee band according to the non-domestic rateable value of the property. The current fees are listed below.

Rateable Value £ Band New or Variation Fee Annual Fee
0-4300 A £100 £70
4301-33000 B £190 £180
33001-87000 C £315 £295
87001-125000 D £450 £320
125000 and above E £635 £350

Please make cheques payable to "Tonbridge and Malling Borough Council" or "TMBC".

Changes to Premises Licence

For changes of Licence holder and / or change of Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS) a copy of both the below forms must be sent to:

  1. Licensing Co-ordinator, Community Safety Unit, Tonbridge & Malling Borough Council, Gibson Drive, Kings Hill, West Malling, Kent ME19 4LZ
  2. Licensing Section (Address below)

Fee for this application is £23

Change of Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS)

Please make cheques payable to "Tonbridge and Malling Borough Council" or "TMBC".

All applications to be sent to

Licensing Services
Gibson Building
Gibson Drive
Kings Hill
West Malling
Kent ME19 4LZ

Further information and to report any concerns

Contact us:

Phone: 01732 876368