Apply for an alcohol personal licence

Personal licence

A personal licence authorises the holder to supply alcohol or authorises the supply of alcohol in accordance with a premises licence. A personal licence is a requirement for any person wishing to become the Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS) of a premises licensed to sell alcohol.

New personal licence application

Personal licence applications must be made to the licensing authority in whose area they reside.

Application requirements

  • applicants must be aged 18 years or over.
  • must possess and produce an original Bii Level II examination certificate or a similar accredited qualification such as the EDI NCPLH level 2 qualification.
  • must produce a Basic Criminal Conviction Disclosure, this must not be more than one month old when submitted with the application.  
  • supply two passport sized photographs with the application. One of these must be endorsed by a person in authority stating "This is a true likeness of (Applicants name)", signed, dated and state position of authority held.
  • must include proof of your right to work in the United Kingdom or your share code issued by the Home Office online right to work checking service (see note 2 of the application form)

You can download application and disclosure forms from the website.

Post these to: Licensing Services, Tonbridge and Malling Borough Council, Gibson Building,
Gibson Drive, Kings Hill, West Malling, Kent, ME19 4LZ

To make an application please complete both of the above forms and send them together with the Criminal Conviction Disclosure, Bii Level II certificate (or similar qualification) and photographs.  The fee of £37 can be made via the telephone once the application has been submitted.

Associated Legislation

Licensing Act 2003

Contact the licensing team

Telephone: 01732 844522