Hairdresser licence

Last Updated:

To operate a Hairdressing Salon within the Tonbridge & Malling Borough, you need to be registered and you must comply with health and safety legislation. It is also advisable to contact the food & safety team to advise you are opening.

Activities such as Acupuncture, Tattooing, Cosmetic Piercing, Semi-Permanent Skin Colouring and Electrolysis are required to be registered.

Associated Legislation

Please read this summary of legislation relating to hairdressing.

Health and Safety at Work Etc Act

The Health and Safety at Work Etc. Act 1974 is the key act which will affect all commercial concerns, whether self-employed or an employee, and whether mobile or based at a salon. Read more about health and safety at the HSE website.

Making a complaint or reporting a concern

As a member of the public, if you have a complaint or are concerned about the health and safety of a hairdresser, contact us.

General advice

If you are in the UK, consumer advice is available from Gov.UK.
If you are outside the UK, advice is available from the UK European Consumer Centre.

Where can I get further information?

Contact us

For further advice or information contact the Food and Safety Team