Scrap metal site registration
Read general information about registering as a scrap metal dealer (GOV.UK).
Gold, silver or any alloy of which two per cent or more is attributable to gold or silver is not regarded as scrap metal.
Types of licence
There are two types of licence specified in the act, both of which last for a three year period.
All the sites where a licensee carries on business as a scrap metal dealer have to be identified and a site manager named for each site.
This licence allows the licensee to transport scrap metal to and from those sites from any local authority area.
This allows the licensee to operate as a collector in the area of the issuing licensing authority. The licence doesn't allow the licensee to operate a site.
Proposed fees subject to approval by Tonbridge and Malling Borough Council:
- site licence grant - £440 (£120 paid with application, £320 paid when licence is granted)
- site licence renewal - £396 (£110 paid with application, £286 paid when licence is granted)
- mobile collectors licence, grant or renewal - £330 (£85 paid with application, £245 paid when licence is granted)
- variation (such as change of address) £30
Each licence is for three years.
Submitting an application
- briefing notes
- application form for registration as a scrap dealer
- scrap metal dealers registration - disclosures of convictions and declarations