Council Tax Reduction - New Claim

Last Updated:

You can apply for a Council Tax Reduction if:

  • You are on a low income and have under £16,000 in savings; and
  • You (or your partner if you have one) are liable to pay Council Tax for a property which you live in.

Even if you have a high income and/or savings, you can apply for a different type of Council Tax Reduction (known as 'second adult rebate'). This is designed to help those who don't qualify for a reduction in their own right but have someone living with then who is on a low income.

How to apply

To claim a Council Tax Reduction you will need to complete a Council Tax Reduction application form.

Please take time to read all the notes on the Council Tax Reduction application form to make sure you complete it correctly. The application form asks for a lot of information. If you do not complete the application form correctly, this could cause a delay.

If you have applied for Income Support (IS), Income Based Job Seekers Allowance (JSA (IB)) or Pension Credit then please contact us directly to apply for a Council Tax Reduction. The Department for Works and Pensions (DWP) may forward relevant information to us, which may assist the consideration of your application. However, this does not constitute an application for a Council Tax Reduction.

You can contact us by email. Alternatively, you can contact the Council Tax Reduction team on 01732 876376. You can ask us to send you the Council Tax Reduction application form. Alternatively you can collect a Council Tax Reduction application form from one of our offices or local surgeries.

You can download the Council Tax Reduction application form, you will need to print, complete and return the application form back to us as the form must be signed. Please note the application form is 40 pages long, all of which must be returned to us to consider your application.

If any part of the application form does not apply to you, then you must still complete it by placing a tick in the appropriate box.

If you are unable to complete the Council Tax Reduction application form and cannot come to the office, a visiting officer might be able to visit you at home. We also offer a home visit if this is the first time you have made a claim. Please contact us for further information.

You can use the on-line calculator to get an idea of how much housing benefit and/or Council tax reduction you might be entitled to.