Basted Mill

Basted Mill public open space covers an area of about 17 acres. Its name comes from the old Basted Paper Mill, which is known to have been in operation in 1716. The mill burnt down in 1917 but was rebuilt and worked by steam power until 1960. It finally closed after damage suffered in the floods of September 1968. The mill supplied paper used for postage stamps.

Points of interest

  • lower and upper meadows
  • old mill pond 
  • woodland

There are signposted walks through the woods and tree information signs. There is also a picnic area on the lower meadow.


Basted Mill is approximately one mile south from the centre of Borough Green. The nearest postcode is TN15 8PG.


There is no car park and very little on road parking available around this public open space so please consider public transport, walking or cycling.

There are public rights of way in the area, with two going through Basted Mill which are MR310 and MR301A.


  • pathways are not surfaced and may be narrow
  • there are natural changes in level and steps

Basted Mill open space is owned and managed by Tonbridge and Malling Borough Council.

Contact the leisure team

Telephone: 01732 844522