Make a new council tax reduction claim

You can apply for a council tax reduction if:

  • you are on a low income and have under £16,000 in savings
  • you (or your partner) have to pay council tax for a property which you live in

If you are not on a low income and have savings over £16,000, you may still be eligible for a different type of council tax reduction known as second adult rebate. To qualify, you need to be of state pension age and have someone living with you who is on a low income.  

How to apply

Complete our council tax reduction application form. Make sure you have answered all the questions before submitting.

If you are not receiving universal credit and you have an income, use the 'anything else'  box to tell us what your income is. Email the benefits team (details below) a photo or scanned image of any supporting evidence.

If you need help paying rent and/or your day-to-day living costs and you are below pension age then claim universal credit.

See our advice if you are behind with your council tax payments.

Contact the benefits team

Telephone: 01732 844522