The borough of Tonbridge and Malling contains several parish and town councils. Each has between two and 13 councillors.

Elections for parish and town councillors happen every four years. However, sometimes a councillor leaves their position between these scheduled elections. When this happens, the parish or town council must advertise the vacancy. We also publish the information.

See list of current vacancies.

How to request an election

Residents can request an election to fill the vacancy if they: 

  • are registered to vote in local government elections
  • live in the relevant town or parish council

If you would like to request a by-election you should do so in writing to the Returning Officer. You have 14 working days from the date that the parish or town council published the vacancy.

A by-election will be held if the Returning Officer receives signatures from ten electors before the deadline.

If there are less than ten valid requests, there will not be an election. The parish or town council will be able to appoint a new councillor through 'co-option'.

Any councillor elected through a by-election, or co-opted to the council, may remain in post until the next scheduled elections.

Send any requests for an election to:

Ms Julie Beilby
The Returning Officer
Tonbridge and Malling Borough Council
Gibson Building
Gibson Drive
Kings Hill
West Malling
Kent ME19 4LZ

For further information, contact

Current vacancies

Borough Green

Following the resignation of Councillor James Crawley, a vacancy notice was published on 15 June 2022.

The deadline for the Proper Officer to receive a valid request for an election is 5 July 2022.