How Tonbridge & Malling Borough Council is responding to the coronavirus outbreak and links to further sources of information, including NHS advice.
Community Support Helpline
We have launched a dedicated community service to help those in shielded medical isolation and those who are vulnerable to coronavirus. The services is providing food supplies and other support, including befriending. Anyone in need of help or willing to sign up as a volunteer can register online or call us on 01732 876152. Please note we are only able to recruit volunteers who are DBS checked.
We have published information on how we can help if you are struggling to pay your council tax. Working-age households which already qualify for reductions can get £150 off their bills. Deferral or reduced payments are also available. Find out more about help with council tax.
Summary of changes to council services
Council offices and meetings
- Council offices: The receptions at Kings Hill offices and Tonbridge Gateway are now closed. If you need to contact us, please do so via email or telephone - see details below.
- You can pay bills or get advice via our website, email or telephone (see details below). Many council services can be accessed online by setting up an account.
- Council committee meetings are cancelled until further notice.
- Tonbridge Castle (visitor attraction) is closed.
- Gateway services provided by Kent County Council at Tonbridge Castle are closed.
- We are currently not issuing parking penalties at council-owned car parks and purchase of a ticket is not necessary.
- Parking restrictions, including yellow lines, resident parking bays and disabled parking still apply. Many residents and businesses are still carrying out essential work across the borough so please park safely and with consideration to pedestrians and other road users.
- If your savings are below £16,000 you may be entitled to reduction based on your household income. To estimate your entitlement you can do so on our online calculator
- We may also be able to either reduce your instalments temporarily or spread them over 12 months rather than the usual 10. To discuss instalments please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you would like to talk through your options, call our Customer Services Team on 01732 876388.
Housing and health
- Housing and health services are now being provided via telephone or email only. This includes advice and support for homelessness and appointments with our OneYou health team.
- Some food businesses are changing the way they operate. The Food and Safety Team has developed guidelines to help.
- Planning services continue to operate. If you have queries relating to planning or the changes in permitted development rights for food businesses then please visit the planning service page.
- The Local Plan hearing sessions which were scheduled to take place during May and June have been postponed.
- We are relaxing rules around night-time deliveries to supermarkets to help meet demand.
Waste and recycling
- We are focusing on maintaining core services (black, bin, recycling and food waste) which are still being collected.
- The Saturday freighter service is suspended.
- Garden waste collections are suspended. We have issued guidance on bonfires.
- Bulky waste collections are suspended.
- We have published guidance on disposing of domestic waste, such as tissues, which may be contaminated by coronavirus. Please do not put tissues in green recycling boxes. Read more here
- Kent County Council's household waste recycling centres are all currently closed.
Parks and leisure
- Leisure centres and swimming pools are closed.
- While parks and sports grounds remain open for daily exercise, catering facilities, car parks and all play equipment and facilities at Haysden and Leybourne Lakes country parks are now closed. All group events have been cancelled.
- For tips on how to keep or get active in and around your home go to Sport England’s national campaign for people to stay active during lockdown.
National advice and information