Council Tax Reduction - Appeals

Last Updated:

Rights of appeal

If you are unhappy with a decision we have made with regard to your Council Tax Reduction, you can ask us to explain our decision.

You must put the reasons why you are unhappy with the decision in writing to us. We will consider your reasons and will either tell you that

  • we agree with you and have changed our decision; or
  • that we are unable to change our decision

If, after you have received our explanation, you are still not satisfied with our decision you can appeal. You can also appeal if you have not heard back from us within two months. If you decide to appeal, you will need to send your appeal to the Valuation Tribunal Service which will arrange for your appeal to be heard by an independent tribunal.

Asking us to explain our decision

If you want to know more about the decision made on your Council Tax Reduction you should get in touch with us as soon as possible. Please get in touch with us by telephone or in writing. You can contact the office on the telephone or address below.

If you need more information about the decision you can:

  • Ask for an explanation of the Council Tax Reduction decision. This can be made in writing or by telephone
  • Ask for a written statement of reason. This can help you decide if you wish to appeal against the decision.
  • Ask for a revision of the decision. This means we can check the decision to see if all details are correct. If any of the details are incorrect, we will revise the amount of Council Tax Reduction and send you a Council Tax Reduction decision notice, if however, we find that all the details are all correct, we will tell you that we cannot change the decision
  • Appeal against the decision. Please see above.

Please telephone the office on 01732 876376 or write to Benefits Office, Tonbridge and Malling Borough Council, Gibson Building, Gibson Drive, Kings Hill, West Malling, Kent. ME19 4LZ