Backdated Council Tax Reduction

Last Updated:

Your Council Tax Reduction will normally start from Monday after we receive your application form. If you get either Income Support (IS) or income-based Job Seeker's Allowance (JSA (IB)), and you make a Council Tax Reduction claim within one month of your application for IS or JSA (IB), your Council Tax Reduction will normally start from the Monday after IS or JSA (IB) is awarded.

Backdating a Council Tax Reduction:

Not usually, however, if you can show that you had good cause why you could not make a claim any earlier, we might be able to. If we do agree to backdate your Council Tax Reduction, we can only backdate for a maximum period of one month if you are working age or three months if you are pensionable age. This applies from the date we get your request for backdating.

Defining good cause:

There is no definition of good cause. We must consider each case on its own merits. Good cause is something that would have stopped you being able to make a claim for a Council Tax Reduction. Examples of things that might be good cause are:

  • If you were ill and had no one to make the application for you
  • If you had suffered a recent bereavement
  • If you were unable to manage your own affairs

To claim a backdated Council Tax Reduction:

There is a section on the Council Tax Reduction application form that you can complete. Alternatively, you can email us requesting a backdate of your Council Tax Reduction.

For more information:

You can contact the office at Gibson Building, Kings Hill on 01732 876376.