Permission is required to have a dropped kerb installed at your property. There are a number of steps you need to follow:

  1. assess suitability of the location and costs. These may include resurfacing work, moving street furniture, planning application fees and changes to parking restrictions
  2. get landowner permission. If you are not sure who owns the land, check with the Land Registry 
  3. check if you need planning permission. You do this by submitting details to Tonbridge and Malling Borough Council (see below)
  4. make your dropped kerb application to Kent County Council (KCC)
  5. apply for changes to any parking restrictions at the location. This may be a lengthy process involving public consultation and costs approximately £300

Check if you need planning permission

Before applying to KCC, you will need to check with us whether planning permission is required. Do this by applying for a Lawful Development Certificate Proposed (LDP).

Go to Planning Portal. Select ‘Start a planning application’. When you get to Step 2/3 ‘Application type’ select ‘Lawful development: Proposed use’.

If our decision is that planning permission is needed: You will need to apply via the planning portal. When you get to Step 2/3 ‘Application type’ select ‘Householder Planning Permission’. Provide evidence of permission with your application to KCC.

If our decision is that planning permission is not needed: Provide a copy of the LDP decision when applying to KCC.

When you are ready to apply

You can read dropped kerb guidance and apply on the KCC website.

See Apply for dropped kerb at KCC

Amending parking restrictions

In areas where parking restrictions apply, double yellow lines will be placed across the vehicle crossing to ensure it remains clear.

Changing parking restrictions (Traffic Regulation Orders) is legal process and may involve public consultation followed by consideration by councillors. You will need to pay a contribution towards the costs of advertisements and consultations of approximately £300. Should you proceed with any works without relevant decisions/approvals, this is entirely at your own risk.

Once you have permission from KCC, send our parking office a copy of your application to KCC and proof of approval. Email

Once we receive your written request, information and KCC approval, we will assess the location to see if it would be suitable to change the parking restrictions. If the location is suitable for changes to parking restrictions, we will advise you of the costs that you will need to pay.

Once we have received your payment, the location will be added to our next batch of TRO amendments. Please note that the legal process for TRO changes can take up to two years to complete.

Grants for those with a disability

Disabled facilities grants may be available to help pay for dropped kerbs. Contact Kent County Council Social Services for an occupational therapist assessment. You should do this before starting any works.