Apply for a private hire or hackney carriage licence
You need to pass the knowledge test before applying for a hackney carriage driver's badge, private hire driver's badge or dual badge.
The knowledge test fee is £60.
You will be sent the revision material by email and around two weeks before the test you will be sent a formal invitation letter by email.
Once you have passed the knowledge test you are then able to submit an application.
Taxi driving assessment
To book your taxi driving assessment contact Green Penny .
When you have submitted a valid application we will send you details of how to take your medical.
You must pass a vocational driving medical at the council's allocated medical centre or your own doctor (medical required on application, then every three years and then yearly after the age of 65 or at any other time required by the council following a doctor's recommendation).
- a three year hackney carriage or private hire licence costs £245
- a dual three-year licence costs £270
- both fees include £40 for the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) enhanced application
Read our briefing note and complete the following forms:
- briefing note
- application form (print and complete parts 1; 3 and 5)
- convictions questionnaire
- residency form
- DVLA application
A DBS form will be completed when you attend the council offices with your application. Read the DBS code of practice on Gov.uk
You will also need to bring your:
- driving licence
- document showing your national insurance number
- and a document showing proof of address where you are currently living (ie household bill)