What information do we use
- personal information such as name, address, email address and telephone number
- more sensitive information such as your image on a photograph. This is called special category information
Why do we use your information?
General personal information
We use your information where it is necessary to perform tasks in the public interest or for our official functions. Your information is used to:
- deal with a media or other enquiry that you have submitted
- enable us to assist with partnership or other community events or services
- enable us to contact you regarding services that you are providing on our behalf or which you wish to access
- gain your consent for the use of images
Special category information
We may use your photograph, where you have agreed that we may, giving it to the press or media or using it on social media or in publications to promote Council community and partnership activities, events and services. If the picture is of a child aged 16 years or under we need the consent of their parent or guardian for us to be able to publish the pictures. Images may be used again at a future date by the Council to promote similar activities, events or services.
How do we collect information from you
- we may receive this information directly from you with your consent
- third parties may share information with us for example schools, clubs, organisations, businesses and other members of the public may provide us with photographs of Council, partnership events, community activities and services
Safeguarding your information
We hold your data for such periods as may be necessary after any activity, event or service has taken place. In the case of images, data will usually be held for two years. However, data may be held for longer if it is of significant importance to the history or profile of the borough. In the case of media contacts and partnership organisation contact data, we will hold this data for as long as we need to continue to communicate with these contacts with regard to the Council’s ongoing business.
Sharing your information
We share information with:
- internal services within TMBC for the purposes of checking event details or responding to media-related enquiries and dealing with the promotion of an event or service
- the media or press for promoting events or services (but only with your specific consent)
- third parties where the information has come from them in the first place
Requesting access to your personal data
Under data protection legislation, you have the right to request access to information about them that we hold. To make a request for your personal information please contact Adrian Stanfield, the Council’s Data Protection Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You also have the right to:
- object to processing of personal data that is likely to cause, or is causing, damage or distress
- prevent processing for the purpose of direct marketing
- object to decisions being taken by automated means
- in certain circumstances, have personal data rectified, blocked, erased or destroyed
- claim compensation for damages caused by a breach of the data protection regulations
If you have a concern about the way we are collecting or using your personal data, we request that you raise your concern with us in the first instance. Alternatively, you can contact the Information Commissioner’s Office at Raising a concern.
If you would like further information about this privacy notice, please contact Adrian Stanfield, the Council’s Data Protection Officer at email@example.com.
The Council collects and uses personal information for a number of purposes across all of its departments and functions. To find out more about how the Council uses the personal information it collects, please refer to the Corporate privacy notice.