How we use your information

The categories of information that we collect, process, hold and share include:

  • personal information (such as name, address, email and contact details)
  • business Information (address, contact details and details on permissible processes, private water supply or contaminated land enquiry)
  • financial transaction details (such as credit or debit card payments)

Why we collect and use this information

We use your data to:

  • enable us to carry out specific functions for which we are responsible
  • take any necessary enforcement action
  • enable us to assess your application for operating an environmental permitting process
  • inform our decisions about matters such as level of service provision
  • provide statistics to Government departments including the Department for Environment Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA), the Environment Agency (EA) and the Drinking Water Inspectorate (DWI)

The lawful basis on which we use this information

We collect and use this information for the purposes of carrying out our statutory functions under various pieces of legislation including:

  • Environmental Protection Act 1990 (EPA 1990)
  • Pollution Prevention and Control Act 1999
  • Environmental Permitting Regulations 2010
  • Prevention of Damage by Pests Act 1949
  • Control of Pollution Act 1974
  • Dangerous Dogs Act 1991
  • Public Health Acts 1875 to 1984

Collecting this information

Whilst the majority of the information you provide us with is mandatory, some of it is provided to us on a voluntary basis. In order to comply with the data protection legislation, we will inform you whether you are required to provide certain information to us or if you have a choice in this.

Storing this information

We hold your data for three years from the date of closing a for Statutory Nuisance Investigations, general correspondence or enquiries. We hold your data for five years from the date of closing for matters relating to the environmental permitting regulations and for a rolling 30 years for information relating to private water supplies. We also review our intruder alarm keyholder database every five years.

Who we share this information with

We routinely share information with:

  • Community Safety Unit, other relevant departments within the council, housing associations, police, DEFRA and the EA where an investigation leads to information relevant to their area of work.

Why we share this information

Where relevant we share information on a statutory basis under the Crime and Disorder Act 1998, the Anti-Social Behaviour Act 2003 and Anti-Social Behaviour, Crime and Policing Act 2014 and other pieces of legislation. This data sharing is permitted when it enables the prevention and detection of crime. Quite often we will share information with other agencies such as housing associations and the police to prevent and detect anti-social behaviour.

We also share data under the Environmental Protection Act 1990 which enables us to ensure water, air and land quality is maintained. This sharing of information is necessary to ensure that the necessary checks can be carried out in the public interest.

Public register

The Council is required to keep a public register which records details of the Environmental Permitting authorisations it issues. This register may contain personal data. To view the register please contact the Environmental Protection Team at

Requesting access to your personal data

Under data protection legislation, you have the right to request access to information about them that we hold. To make a request for your personal information please contact Adrian Stanfield, the council’s Data Protection Officer at

You also have the right to:

  • object to processing of personal data that is likely to cause, or is causing, damage or distress
  • prevent processing for the purpose of direct marketing
  • object to decisions being taken by automated means
  • in certain circumstances, have personal data rectified, blocked, erased or destroyed; and
  • claim compensation for damages caused by a breach of the data protection regulations

If you have a concern about the way we are collecting or using your personal data, we request that you raise your concern with us in the first instance. Alternatively, you can contact the Information Commissioner’s Office at How to make a data protection complaint to an organisation.

Further information

If you would like further information about this privacy notice, please contact Adrian Stanfield, the council’s Data Protection Officer at

The council collects and uses personal information for a number of purposes across all of its departments and functions. To find out more about how the council uses the personal information it collects, please refer to the Corporate privacy notice.

Last updated: 9 March 2022.