There is no council tax discount for second homes in the borough. You will need to pay the full council tax charge for any second home.
You must pay council tax for empty properties you own in the borough. This includes properties that are substantially unfurnished. If your property has been empty for two or more years, you will need to pay an additional charge (a premium). The amounts are set out below.
From 1 April 2020, properties that have been empty for:
- over two years but less than five years – you will be charged the full council tax plus an extra 100 per cent
- over five years – you will be charged the full council tax plus an extra 200 per cent
From 1 April 2021 properties that have been empty for:
- over 10 years – you will be charged the full council tax plus an extra 300 per cent
You will not have to pay the empty home premium if either:
- the empty property is an annex
- you’re in the armed forces and you have to move into armed forces accommodation as part of your work
There are currently no other exemptions available.
We can offer you free advice and guidance to help you bring your home back into use. Contact the Private Sector Housing Team for more information:
Phone: 01732 876067