Vehicle access - kerbs

Last Updated:

A dropped kerb or vehicle crossing is the dip in the path and kerb that lets you drive up to your off road parking.

It is very important that you get all necessary permissions before starting work. It may take some time to gain these permissions, as there are various legal processes that have to take place.

What you need to consider before starting work

1. Work out if the location is suitable

Check the guidance from KCC use the link 'Before you apply'.

2. Get the landowner permission

If you do not know who owns the land, check with Land Registry.

3. Planning permission

Check if you need planning permission. Please use our pre application advice service for planning related enquiries. Kent County Council will need to know that you have done this, see Point 4 below.

4. Kent County Council

You will need to apply for permission from KCC, as they are the highway authority, to create or change a dropped kerb. Please note that you should make a copy of your completed application form as you may need it later on in relation to parking restrictions, see Point 5 below. KCC also require you to provide written proof that either you do not need planning permission, or that you have been granted planning permission. You must receive permission from Kent County Council before starting any work.

5. Parking restrictions

If there are parking restrictions, (permit bays, yellow lines etc.) where you want the vehicle crossing, they will need to be changed.

You must make a request, in writing, for the parking restrictions to be adjusted to the parking office, with a copy of the application form that you submit to KCC, showing the location of the proposed vehicle crossing.

Once we receive your written request, and copy of the application form you supplied to KCC, we will:

  • assess the location to see if it would be safe to change the parking restrictions
  • after the assessment we will provide you with our decision in writing. If we decide that the changes to parking restrictions could take place, you will need to make a contribution towards the legal costs (circa £300) of altering the parking Traffic Regulation Order (TRO), and fund any physical works that may be necessary. Although it may be possible for this to be done by your contractor when installing the vehicle crossover.

Your payment is required before any changes can take place. We will not make any changes to lines, signs or the TRO until we receive written approval from KCC for the dropped kerb.

Double yellow lines will be placed across the vehicle crossing in areas where there are parking restrictions.

It is highly unlikely that bus bay markings would be changed or relocated. Bus bays have to be a specific size and bus stop locations are decided upon by KCC and bus operators

6. Work out the cost

Every location is different but the costs, you will have to pay, may include:

  • Creating or amending a dropped kerb
  • Resurfacing the area to be driven over
  • Creating the area to be parked on
  • Moving street furniture such as a street lighting column, signs, posts etc.
  • Removing a tree and planting replacements
  • Changes to utility covers e.g. water, gas etc.
  • Planning permission
  • KCC permission application
  • Moving parking restriction signage and their posts
  • Lining works
  • Traffic Regulation Order amendment


Assistance with funding for this type of work is sometimes available through a disabled facilities grant to meet the needs of a person with a disability.

You will need to contact Kent County Council, Social Services to be assessed by an Occupational Therapist. The Occupational Therapist would then make a referral to us (Tonbridge & Malling Borough Council) for a disabled facilities grant if necessary. You should do this before starting any works.

If you live in rented accommodation, your landlord may be able to help.