Disabled bay in a road eligibility and locations for bays

Last Updated:

In order for a bay to be considered you must meet criteria:

  1. The application must be made in the name of one registered disabled person who is resident in the road.
  2. You must hold a valid blue badge (a copy of both sides of the badge must be enclosed with the application form).
  3. You should be the driver of the vehicle needing a space. Any exceptions to this should be stated in writing and accompany the application. All exceptions will be considered and a recommendation made.
  4. If aged 65 or over, you will need to receive, or be entitled to, Attendance Allowance at the higher rate (or Disability Living Allowance for adults at the higher rate of the mobility. component) and enclose a copy of proof with your application.
  5. If aged between 16 and 64 years of age, you will need to receive, or be entitled to, Personal Independence Payment (PIP) at the enhanced rate of the mobility component (or Disability Living Allowance for adults at the higher rate of the mobility component) and enclose a copy of proof with your application.
  6. If aged 16 or under, you will need to receive, or be entitled to, Disability Living Allowance for children at the higher rate of the mobility component and enclose a copy of proof with your application.
  7. If you receive, or are entitled to a war pension please enclose a copy of proof with your application.
  8. You must be unable to walk to and from places where adequate car parking is available.
  9. The vehicle used to transport you should normally be kept at your home address and be registered at that address. If the main driver of the vehicle does not reside at your property, the bay will in most cases be refused.
  10. You must not have any space available for parking your vehicle in an off street parking facility e.g. a garage, driveway. You may wish to consider constructing your own off road parking. Before starting any works you should check if you need planning permission from Tonbridge & Malling Borough Council or, if you need permission for a dropped kerb from Kent County Council. You may qualify for a disabled facilities grant.
  11. There must be an existing problem, in your area, with the amount of on-street parking, which regularly prevents the applicant finding available space on street, close to their property when required.
  12. If there are parking restrictions, such as single yellow lines or permit bays etc. at the proposed location for the disabled bay, the legal order, lines and signs will need to be changed. This may delay the disabled bay introduction. Once we receive your completed application form, we will assess the location to see if it would be safe to change the parking restrictions. After the assessment we will provide you with our decision in writing. Please note that it is possible that some existing restrictions or facilities, such as lamp posts, bus stops etc. would not be changed or relocated. Lamp posts and the locations of bus stops are the responsibility of the Highway Authority, which in this area is Kent County Council.

You must also enclose relevant copies of the following documents with your application:

  • vehicle registration document or Motorbility Hire Agreement
  • vehicle insurance document
  • UK driving licence

Each case will be decided on its own merits, by an engineer, who must be satisfied that establishing a disabled persons parking bay is necessary for the purpose of relieving or preventing congestion, and that the bay is suitable for its intended use.

Bay locations

Bays will not be provided in locations that may compromise public safety such as:

  • on a bend
  • on a brow of a hill
  • close to a junction
  • within a turning head of a cul-de-sac
  • where the road is too narrow
  • where parking is already prohibited e.g. on yellow lines, zigzag lines etc

Bays will also not be provided at locations:

  • where disabled bays in any one street exceed 2 or 5% of available parking in the street (whichever is the greater)
  • where the road is not maintained by Kent County Council, as we can only provide bays on the public highway. Find out if your road is public or private by searching the Kent County Council Highways Gazetteer. If the road is not public highway then we cannot consider a bay, but the owners of that area may be able to help you. Unfortunately we do not hold records of who owns or manages private parking areas, but if you are the tenant of a Housing Association, they may be able to assist

If you do not meet all requirements, then the application may not be allowed.

You should make sure that you meet all the criteria before making your application.