Further to the Self-Build and Custom Housebuilding Act (2015) Tonbridge and Malling Borough Council is preparing a Register of eligible individuals and associations who wish to build their own home in the borough.
The purpose of the Register is to provide valuable information on the level of demand for self-build and custom housebuilding locally. Certain public bodies have a duty to have regard to the registers when carrying out their functions in relation to planning, housing, land disposal and regeneration.
Due to the Coronavirus (Covid-19) outbreak the Council have taken the decision to postpone the introduction of all tests attributed to the Self-Build and Custom House Building Register and any administrative charges as agreed by the Planning and Transportation Advisory Board in November 2019. These will now be introduced at a later date, to be confirmed.
For all updates regarding this matter, please check this page.
TMBC Planning Policy
Frequently Asked Questions
Will I need to finance the acquisition of the land?
Yes. You will need to be able to demonstrate that you will have sufficient resources to purchase land for your own self-build or custom-build project for inclusion on the register. This means that you will need to be in a position to pay the market value of the land for residential use.
Will I need to finance the build project?
Yes. You must be able to demonstrate that you have the resources to fund and complete the development.
Do I need planning permission for a Self-Build or Custom-Build project?
Yes. Planning permission is required for new dwellings, there are no exemptions for self or custom builds. Planning applications are determined against the policies in the Council's Development Plan and any other material considerations including the Government's National Planning Policy Framework .
Will existing planning policies and regulations still apply to self-build and custom build projects?
Yes. Applications for self-build or custom build projects will be judged against the same planning policies as other planning applications. The starting point is the Council's Development Plan.
Further information can be found by following these links:
- Self-Build and Custom Housebuilding Planning Practice Guidance
- Self-Build and Custom Housebuilding Regulations (October 2016)
- Self-Build and Custom Housebuilding (Register) Regulations (April 2016
- The Self-Build and Custom Housebuilding Act 2015
How to make an application to be included on the Register
To be eligible to be included on the Register applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be aged 18 or over;
- Be a British citizen, a national of the European Economic Area states or a national of Switzerland; and
- Be seeking (either alone or with others) to acquire a serviced plot of land in the Borough of Tonbridge and Malling to build a house to occupy as that individual's sole or main residence.
If applying as an association (i.e. a group of people who wish to secure several plots for self or custom housebuilding) the eligibility criteria above has to be met by each individual in the association. A lead person should be appointed as the contact between the association and the Borough Council.
How to apply
Applications must be made in writing or by e-mail to the addresses below and include the following information:
- Name and address
- Date of Birth
- Confirmation that the purpose of the application is to acquire (either alone or with others) a serviced plot of land to build a house in the Borough of Tonbridge and Malling to occupy as my sole or main residence.
For Associations, the lead contact should include the following information:
- Name and Address of the association
- Name and address, date of birth and nationality of each member of the association
- The name and address of the lead contact (if different from the name and address of the Association)
- Confirmation that for each member of the association the purpose of the application is to acquire (either alone or with others) a serviced plot of land to build a house in the Borough of Tonbridge and Malling to occupy as their sole or main residence
- The number of serviced plots the members of the association are seeking to acquire.
Send application to:
Planning Policy Team
Tonbridge & Malling Borough Council
Kent ME19 4LZ
Applications will be determined by the Local Authority and applicants advised of the result within 28 days of receipt.
Although not a requirement for being considered for inclusion on the Register, any additional relevant information relating to the self build or custom housebuilding project being proposed is welcomed, such as preferred location, plot size and type of housing.
This privacy notice tells you what to expect when Planning Policy collects personal information, and what rights you have in relation to the information we hold about you.