Trees in Conservation Areas

Last Updated:

Most trees within Conservation Areas have a degree of protection which means that you will have to notify us, at least 6 weeks in advance of any works you want to carry out. This applies to any works to lop, top, pollard or fell a tree. You can apply online or use the paper forms to notify us. There is no cost for this notification.

Trees within Conservation Areas that are also covered by a Tree Preservation Order will always need an application for Tree Preservation Order Consent for works, rather than a notification of works to trees within a Conservation Area.

You can see details of the extents of the Conservation Areas, together with details of Tree Preservation Orders, on our Protected Trees map.

If you are unsure if permission is required, it is advisable to check before carrying out any tree works by emailing

Further information on Protected Trees can be found at the Planning Portal.