Tree management

Last Updated:

Works to protected trees will often need consent. Protection can be by Tree Preservation Order, because the tree is in a Conservation Area or because the trees are covered by a condition on a planning application. You will need to apply to us for works to any trees specified above. Protected trees can be viewed on our interactive Protected Trees map.

You do not need to own a tree to apply for consent to do works to it. However you will still need the consent of the owner before carrying out any works.

If you think trees may be owned by Tonbridge & Malling Borough Council, please contact our Leisure team on for advice. We have also adopted a Tree Safety Strategy which explains more about what we do with trees.

Trees overhanging or obstructing a highway or obscuring signs and general visibility are the responsibility of the landowner.