The Disabled Facilities Grant can be used for the following types of work:
- To make it easier to get into and out of the dwelling by, for example, widening doors and installing ramps;
- Ensuring the safety of the person with a disability and other occupants by, for example, providing a specially adapted room in which it would be safe to leave a person with a disability unattended or improved lighting to ensure better visibility;
- To ensure easier access to the living room;
- To provide or improve access to the bedroom, kitchen, toilet, washbasin and bath (and/or shower) facilities, for example, by installing a stair lift or providing a downstairs bathroom;
- To improve or provide a heating system in your home which is suitable to the needs of the person with a disability;
- To adapt heating or lighting controls to ensure ease of use; and to improve access and movement around the home to enable the person with a disability to care for another person who lives in the property; such as a spouse, child or another person for whom the person with a disability cares.