Housing applications

Last Updated:

The housing register is a list of people who want social housing. Housing associations provide this housing in our Borough as we do not own any. However, we do manage the housing register.

Joining the housing register doesn't guarantee you a property as demand for social housing far exceeds the supply.

Who can join the Housing Register?

You must be aged 16 or over to apply to join, have a local connection to our Borough and a qualifying housing need. We cannot consider you for inclusion on the register if:

  • you are subject to immigration control within the meaning of the Asylum and Immigration Act 1996, unless you are in an exempt group as decided by the Government; or
  • you are not habitually resident in the Common Travel Area (a travel zone that comprises the islands of Great Britain, Ireland, the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands) unless you are exempt from the habitual residence test;
  • or because of your particular rights of residence under European Union law.

How does the register work?

In accordance with our housing allocation scheme, successful applications will be placed into one of four bands. Details of these bands can be found on page three of our housing allocation scheme summary.

How can I join the register?

You may wish to try the Kent Homechoice Pre-assessment Tool to help you to decide if joining the housing register is right for you. To make an application you must complete a housing assessment form and provide evidence to support your application. Further details are within the form.

Useful links