Tonbridge and Malling Borough Council offers residents support in accessing cheaper energy tariffs by working with iChoosr who run The Big Community Switch collective energy switching scheme.
Collective energy switching is when consumers get together to negotiate a group deal with gas and electricity suppliers. Energy suppliers are invited to compete with their best offer at an energy auction. Residents registered with the scheme are sent a personalised offer showing how much they could save with the winning tariff, which they can decide whether they want to accept.
Registration is free and there is no obligation to accept the winning offer.
The Big Community Switch groups together participating council area schemes countrywide at energy auctions held three times a year in October, February and May.
How to take part
- Registration is now open until 7 October 2019
- Auction will be held on 8 October 2019
- personalised energy offers will be sent out from 21 October 2019.
- Registrants have until 26 November 2019 to decide if they wish to accept the winning offer and switch.
To register you will need details of your supplier, current tariff and annual energy consumption (see your latest energy bill).
For more information and to register on line follow the link to the iChoosr collective switching scheme.
Due to restrictions on the scheme the Council is not allowed to send out reminders to residents who have switched through the scheme in the last 2 years. Therefore please keep a note of your current energy tariff expiry date, and register for the auction that coincides with that date.
Don’t have access to an email address?
People without an email address can register via a relative or friend's email address (maximum of five households per email address) or alternatively contact Private Sector Housing on 01732 876067.
Results of 8 October 2019 auction
- Dual fuel online billing customers - SSE
- Electricity only online billing customers - So Energy
- Electricity only paper billing customers - SSE
- Dual fuel and electricity paper billing customers - SSE
- Prepayment meter customers - SSE
Alternative energy switching options are available through Ofgem accredited comparison sites.
Information on collective switching can be found at the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy.