Domestic noise

Last Updated:

Can I make a complaint about noise from a domestic property?

Most noise from domestic premises may be considered a statutory nuisance and can be investigated by the council.

However, we can not deal with noise from 'ordinary domestic activities', such as:

  • Ringing telephones
  • Opening and closing doors
  • Flushing toilets
  • Switching on and off electrical sockets.

These types of noise are considered to be unavoidable as part of normal everyday living and therefore can not constitute a statutory environmental nuisance.

How can the problem be reduced or prevented?

Defra have also produced a booklet, "Bothered by noise? There's no need to suffer," which gives advice on how to deal with noise problems.

How do I make a complaint?

If you feel the problem may be classed as a statutory nuisance, have spoken to the person causing the noise (or do not feel you are able to) and the noise continues, please contact us with the details.