Commercial noise

Last Updated:

Can I make a complaint about a Commercial premises making too much noise?

Noise from commercial premises, including music, ventilation systems and alarms may be considered a statutory nuisance and can be investigated by the council.

If the noise is caused by a one-off event or is of a reasonable level and only occurs during daytime we may not be able to carry out a full investigation but can, if required, write to the premise on your behalf.

How can the problem be reduced?

if you have had a noise complaint against your premise, or wish to discuss a noise issue with a commercial premise the following advice may help;

Music or people

  • Consider improving or adding sound proofing to the premise
  • Consider the time and frequency of events, especially any where there may be noise outside the premise
  • Let neighbouring properties know if you are having a one-off event.
  • Agree a time when the music will stop and stick to it.
  • Make sure that you 'control' your guests and their behaviour doesn't annoy your neighbours
  • Consider relocating the noise source so that the noise is directed away from residential premises


  • Consider re-locating alarms to reduce any impact on residential premises.
  • Supply the Police with details of key holders who can silence the alarm within twenty minutes
  • Ensure the alarm is installed in accordance with manufacturer's instructions
  • Service the alarm regularly
  • Ensure that key holders know how to enter the property to silence the alarm
  • Ensure that the alarm has a cut-out device that only allows it to sound for no more than 20 minutes. This may change to a flashing light to indicate a tripped condition.

Ventilation equipment

  • Consider relocating any ventilation or other equipment that could generate ongoing noise
  • Ensure any equipment is installed in accordance with manufacturer's instructions

How do I make a complaint?

If you feel the problem may be classed as a statutory nuisance, have spoken to the person who manages the venue causing the noise (or do not feel you are able to) and the noise continues, please contact us with the details.