Last Updated:

Can I make a complaint about noise?

You can report the following noise complaints to the council:

We can investigate such matters and take action If the problem may be classed as a 'statutory nuisance' . There are particular rules, defined in law, for each type of noise which affect if we can carry out an investigation. Please review the information about the particular problem you are experiencing before making a complaint.

We are unable to investigate traffic, aircraft or railway noise as these are not considered statutory environmental nuisances.

What should I do before making a complaint?

If you are experiencing a problem with noise of any type we would initially suggest you:

  • Speak to your neighbour or the owner of the property politely, whilst maintaining social distancing, as they may not be aware that their actions are causing a problem to you. If they do not know they are causing you a problem, how can they be expected to resolve it?
  • Write to them explaining that their noise is causing a problem
  • Keep a written record of dates and times that the noise happens and what effects it has on you.

More information about Statutory Nuisance can be found on the Statutory Nuisance page.

What should I do if a noise complaint has been made against me?

If you are approached by a neighbour concerning noise, be polite. Consider what you would do if you were affected by the noise. Your neighbour is probably doing the right thing by bringing the matter to your attention in the first instance. After all, how will you know that your actions are causing a concern if they don't tell you. Consider the following:

  • The volume of noise - is it too loud?
  • The times at which you are causing most noise - is it too late or too early?
  • Can you reduce the volume?
  • What can you do to resolve the matter amicably?

You may find our leaflet on domestic noise " Keep the Noise Down" (PDF -1.66MB) helpful, This gives advice on how to prevent domestic noise becoming a problem.

How do I make a complaint?

If you feel the problem may be classed as a statutory nuisance, have spoken to the person causing the noise, whilst maintaining social distancing (or do not feel you are able to) and the noise continues, please contact us with the details.