Types of Private Hire and Hackney Carriage driving licences
Private hire driver licence
- an applicant must be a fit and proper person and has held a full driver's licence for at least 12 months.
- you can apply for just a private hire drivers licence and work for a private hire operator who has private hire vehicles
- you can apply for a private hire drivers licence and a private hire vehicle licence and work for a private hire operator
- you can apply for a private hire drivers licence, a private hire vehicle licence and a private hire operator's licence.
- all three licences - private hire drivers, vehicle and operator's licence must be held by the same Licensing Authority. It is an offence to operate a private hire vehicle and private hire drivers licence without a private hire operator licence.
- An applicant must be a fit and proper person and has held a full driver's licence for at least 12 months.
- You can apply for just a hackney carriage drivers licence and work for a Proprietor who holds a hackney carriage vehicle licence.
- You can apply for a hackney carriage drivers licence and hackney carriage vehicle licence and work for your self.
- A Dual licence holder can drive both Hackney and Private Hire Vehicles.
Before you submit your application
** Please note - during the current Covid-19 pandemic, we have had to postpone all Knowledge Tests. Check back here for an update once they resume - Thank you **
When applying for a Hackney Carriage Drivers Badge, Private Hire Drivers Badge or Dual Badge you will need to pass the knowledge test before you submit your application.
You will need to complete a booking form for a knowledge test slot to be allocated to you and pay the current knowledge test fee (£60).
You will then be sent the revision material by email and around two weeks before the test you will be sent a formal invite letter by email.
Once you have passed the knowledge test you are then able to submit an application.
- Briefing Notes
- Application form (print and complete parts 1; 3 and 5 )
- Disclosure and Bearing Service (DBS) form - Before completing the application form you should read the DBS Privacy Policies which can be found at https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/dbs-privacy-policies This form will be completed when you bring your application into the Council offices. You will need to bring your driving licence; passport; document showing your national insurance number and a document showing proof of address where you are currently living (i.e. household bill). A copy of the DBS code of practice can be found at https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/dbs-code-of-practice
- Convictions Questionnaire (print and complete)
- Residency form (print and complete)
- DVLA mandate (print and complete)
Taxi Driver Assessment
To book your Taxi Driver Assessment please use the below link -
When you have submitted a valid application we will send you details of how to take your medical. You must pass a vocational driving medical at the councils allocated medical centre or your own doctor (medical required on application, then every 3 years and then yearly after the age of 65 or at any other time required by the Council following a doctors recommendation).
- A three year hackney carriage or private hire licence will cost £245 which includes £40 for the Disclosure & Barring Service Enhanced Application.
- A dual three year licence will cost £270 which includes £40 for the Disclosure & Barring Service Enhanced Application.
Issuing of a licence
When all of the above have been successfully completed the applicant will be issued with a badge together with a paper licence.