Food businesses registration

Last Updated:

If you run a food business you need to register with the local authority before opening (or before starting to use new premises). This is a legal requirement.

This will be necessary if you store, prepare, distribute or sell food on your premises. Types of premises include restaurants, cafes, hotels, shops, canteens, market stalls, mobile catering vans and food delivery vans.

Certain type of food premises, generally manufacturers of products of animal origin, such as dairies, meat product manufacturers or fish processors are subject to product specific regulations and need to be approved, rather than registered. If you are uncertain whether your business needs to be approved or registered please contact us using details at the foot of this page.

Regulation EC No 852/2004 on the Hygiene of Foodstuffs Article 6(2) requires anyone running a food business to register the premises from wherever the business operates.

You should register your food business 28 days before you begin trading.


Apply Online


You can process your licence application or request to change an existing licence online via the EUGO portal.

Apply online for a Food Premises Registration (UK Welcomes website).

Apply online to change an existing Food Registration (UK Welcomes website).

Apply by Post

Food Registration Form (PDF format 31.1KB).

Send paper copies, including all attachments to

The Food and Safety Team,
Tonbridge and Malling Borough Council,
Gibson Building ,
Gibson Drive,
Kings Hill,
West Malling,
Kent ME19 4LZ.

Current Fee

There is no charge for a food registration.

Consumer Complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Consumer Rights will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Further Information

You must notify any changes of proprietor or changes to the nature of the business to the Food and Safety Team