Consultation on the Draft Local Development Order at the Innovation Park Medway Site
Notice of Consultation Under Regulation 38 of the Town and Country Planning (Development Management Procedure)(England) Order 2015 and Under Regulation 32 of the Town and Country Planning (Environmental Impact Assessment) Regulation 2017.
Innovation Park Medway is a new opportunity for high-value technology, engineering, manufacturing and knowledge-intensive businesses looking to grow in the South East. The park will promote innovation and business growth across Medway and the surrounding area, complementing the existing Innovation Centre.
Innovation Park Medway will support the development of up to 101,000sqm of high value technology, advanced manufacturing, engineering and knowledge-intensive businesses, with the following Use Classes of the Town and Country Planning (Use Classes) Order 1987 (Amendment) (England) Regulations 2020:
- Use Class E (g)(i) - Business (office);
- Use Class E (g)(ii) - Reseach and development of products and processes;
- Use Class E (g)(iii) - Industrial processes; and
- Use Class B2 (General Industrial)
Innovation Park Medway is in one of three North Kent Enterprise Zones that offer tax breaks and government support, making them ideal places for new and expanding organisations to do business.
The Innovation Park Medway site is within both Tonbridge & Malling Borough Council and Medway Council's administrative boundaries. This means that all decisions must be made by both councils.
In 2019, Medway Council and Tonbridge & Malling Borough Council each consulted on a draft Local Development Order (LDO) for Innovation Park Medway. The feedback from this consultation has been used to refine the draft LDO, and make changes where considered appropriate. We are therefore re-consulting on the revised order and associated documents prior to adoption.
Both Tonbridge & Malling Borough Council and Medway Council are consulting on draft Local Development Orders for the areas of the Innovation Park Medway site that fall within their respective areas, and must adopt separate documents.
The purpose of an LDO is to simplify the planning process within the site. It enables businesses and organisations that would support the objectives of Innovation Park Medway to develop on the site without the need for planning permission but subject to a number of conditions set out within the LDO. Development proposals that do not conform with the LDO or that cannot satisfy the conditions of the LDO will require planning permission in the usual way.
How to read the consultation documents
Following on from the initial consultation in 2019, the Borough Council is now consulting on new information, as follows:
- The Local Development Order and Statement of Reasons, Self-Certification Form, Intention to Start Form and Design Code have been updated in their entirety.
- The Ecological Management and Enhancement Plan (including appendices) is a new document.
- Section 2 of the Environmental Statement Addendum sets out how the Environmental Statement documents have been updated and amended (these consist of the Environmental Statement Addendum, Appendices A-K and the Environmental Statement Addendum Non-Technical Summary).
A summary document covering the proposals and a consultation statement are also available.
Copies of this new information are also available for inspection during opening hours at the Council Offices at Gibson Building, Gibson Drive, Kings Hill, West Malling, Kent ME19 4LZ. If you wish to visit the Council Offices to view the documents then please call 01732 844522 to book an appointment first.
Relevant documents can be found here (using planning reference 19/01419/FL). Alternatively you can access the documents below:
How to comment
Anyone who wishes to make representations should either:
- Submit comments on Tonbridge & Malling Borough Council's website using the planning reference 19/01419/FL
- email the Council at firstname.lastname@example.org
- write to the Council at Innovation Park Medway LDO Consultation, Planning, Housing and Environmental Health, Tonbridge & Malling Borough Council, Gibson Building, Gibson Drive, Kings Hill, West Malling, Kent ME19 4LZ by 5pm on Monday 30 November 2020
All responses must be received by 5pm on Monday 30 November 2020. Please be aware that all comments received will be publicly available and will be included on the Council's website.
Medway Council are also re-consulting from 26 October to 27 November 2020, and comments can be submitted via www.medway.gov.uk/ipm