Health and safety - accident reporting

Last Updated:

The investigation of accidents at work is an important part of the council's job. There are certain accidents that must be reported by law under the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences (RIDDOR) Regulations 2013.

The RIDDOR website provides detailed information on the duties on employers, the self-employed and people in control of work premises to report serious workplace accidents, occupational diseases and specified dangerous occurrences (near misses).

The things that must be reported via RIDDOR include:

  • A death;
  • A major injury, such as a fracture, amputation, dislocation;
  • A member of the public being taken to hospital;
  • Dangerous occurrences;
  • Any employee who is off work for more than seven days (including non-working days) following an accident at work;
  • An employee who suffers from certain reportable work-related illness or diseases;
  • Report of flammable gas incident;
  • Report of a dangerous gas fitting.

All these accidents and issues can now be reported online at or by phone: 0845 300 9923 08:30 to 17:00 Monday to Friday

The forms will then be forwarded to the Food and Safety Team. When we receive the accident report form, we may contact the injured person and make a visit to the premises to try and find out how the accident happened. The outcome of the investigation usually involves giving advice to help prevent a similar accident from occurring. If there has been an obvious breach of health and safety law, then we may adopt a more formal approach.

Report other (non RIDDOR) Health & Safety concerns

Contact the Food and Safety Team.