Tonbridge and Malling Borough Council are keen to support people to make healthy lifestyle choices by improving the diet of people choosing to eat meals outside the home.
The Healthy Eating award encourages food businesses to reduce the amount of salt, sugar and saturated fat in their dishes and increase availability and consumption of fruit and vegetables. It helps promote healthier cooking methods, correct proportions and serving sizes, and assists businesses to promote their healthy food options.
Our current award holders include schools, residential homes, cafes and takeaway premises.
Who can apply?
Most catering businesses will be eligible to apply for the Healthy Eating Award provided they have achieved at least a hygiene rating of 3 in their most recent food hygiene inspection.
We are keen to encourage high street restaurants, cafes, takeaways, pubs, schools and nurseries to commit to making changes that will enable people to make healthy choices outside the home. We are also working with catering businesses in workplaces to support their customers to make healthier choices.
How can I apply?
- Download the Guidance to ensure you understand the aims of the Award.
- Look closely at your recipes, menus and cooking methods compared to the guidance given. Make any changes required to improve what you do. You do not need to be able to tick ‘yes’ to everything – only enough to reach one of the 3 levels.
- Look at how you are going to promote and market your healthier food and drink options to ensure your customers are encouraged to make informed healthy choices.
- Complete the Application Questionnaire and send it back to us with a copy of all your menus (by post or email).
What happens next?
1. You will be contacted to arrange a convenient time for us to visit your premises (please allow about 1½ hours).
2. During the visit, the officer will be able to confirm that the questionnaire has been answered correctly and advise on any queries you may have regarding cooking techniques, ingredient choices and recipes.
3. If everything is in place the Award will be confirmed at the end of this visit to either Bronze, Silver or Gold level. If more time is needed to make changes, a follow up phone call or revisit may be made and the Award will be confirmed at a later date.