The Tonbridge and Malling Economy
The following gives a snapshot of the Tonbridge and Malling economy:
- Around 5,430 companies operate within the borough with around 4,850 (89%) of these employing 0-4 people and 25 employing over 250 people (UK Business Count, 2016)
- There are 58,500 workforce jobs in the Borough (up 2% since 2009) (BRES, 2015)
- Key sectors are: Business Services (10.4% of jobs); Retail (10.4%); Health (8.7%); Education (8.7%); Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (6.9%); Transport (6.9%) and Wholesale (6.9%) (BRES, 2015)
- Main growth sectors since 2009 have been Finance and Insurance Services and Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (BRES, 2015)
- The average weekly salary of people working in the Borough is around £550 and the average weekly salary of people living in the Borough is around £655 (ASHE, 2016)
- The Indices of Multiple Deprivation 2015 illustrate that overall deprivation is low in the Borough, with a ranking of 274 out of 326 districts and boroughs across the country (1 being the most deprived). The Borough does not have any Lower Super Output Areas (LSOAs) in the 10% most deprived in the country. For more information go to the Kent headline findings.
- The Borough has 27,550 residents commuting out of the Borough to work. Of these, 31% go to London and 20% go to Maidstone. 27,920 people commute into the Borough to work, with most coming from Maidstone, Medway and Tunbridge Wells.
Further information can be accessed via the following area profile.