The Borough Council recognises the huge strain being felt by a large number of our businesses at present and is committed to doing everything we can to provide support during this difficult period.
Update: Chancellor outlines Winter Economy Plan - setting out a range of measures to protect jobs and support businesses over the coming months.
Update: Government has introduced a new service to create a QR code for display in your venue that visitors can use when they arrive, and that will help trace and stop the spread of coronavirus. To find out more go to the Coronavirus NHS QR Code webpage.
Financial Support Measures
Local Covid-19 Business Helpline (part-funded by TMBC) is up and running on 03333 602300 (open 8:30am-5:00pm Monday to Friday). If you need to talk over any aspect of your business, including the availability of financial support, they will be able to help.
Grants and Loans Information
Kent County Council have information on a wide range of grants and loans that are available for local business. To find out more go to the KCC business webpages.
Small Business Grants and Retail, Hospitality and Leisure Grants - NOW CLOSED
Please not that this scheme closed on 28 August 2020. The Borough Council allocated over £19m to over 1,500 eligible businesses through these schemes. These grants have been vital to our local economy, helping to ensure the survival of many local businesses.
Small Business Covid-19 Discretionary Fund - NOW CLOSED
Please note that this scheme closed to applications at 5pm on 10 June 2020. The Borough Council has now allocated all of this fund to around 150 businesses in the borough.
Other Support Available
There have also been a number of other announcements from Government aimed at providing support to business, including:
- Statutory Sick Pay Relief Package for SMEs
- Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme - closes at the end of October 2020.
- Self Employment Income Support Scheme
- the Bounce Back Loan is aimed at smaller businesses which offers up to £50,000, with no test of viability, a simple application and is 100% government guranteed.
- HMRC Tax Helpline aimed at providing help with delaying payments (HMRC Time to Pay Scheme).
To check if you might be eligible for any of the above schemes (including the grants), you can visit the Business Support Finder.
Re-Opening of Local Business
There is a range of essential guidance available to businesses looking to open back up including the following:
- Public Health England - reporting an outbreak
- Government guidelines on re-opening a food business
- Health and Safety Executive Guidance - including a toolkit to undertake risk assessments
- Chartered Institute of Environmental Health - have provided guidance on Legionella sampling for businesses that are re-opening
- If businesses have any queries they can contact the Food Safety Team at the Borough Council via firstname.lastname@example.org
Useful Advice and Information
A range of practical advice, support and information is also available via the following links:
Visit Kent- geared specifically towards businesses in the tourism and hospitality sector.
Food Standards Agency - advice for food businesses on re-opening and adapting.
Entitledto has provided useful information about accessing benefits for self-employed people or employees that have been affected by coronavirus.
This page will be continually updated as soon as further information is made available from Central Government.