Universal Credit

Last Updated:

From Monday 12 October 2015, Universal Credit was introduced in the Borough.

Universal Credit is a new benefit for working-age people that is being introduced gradually across the country as part of the government's welfare reform changes. It is designed to make it easier to take temporary or part-time work while claiming.

It is likely to apply to you if you are:

  • single, and
  • between 18 and 60 years 6 months, and
  • not 'sick', and
  • not pregnant, and
  • not paying child maintenance,and
  • would otherwise make a new claim for Jobseekers Allowance and/or Housing Benefit.

You can find out more about Universal Credit and how to claim online .

Universal Credit will eventually replace six existing benefits with a single monthly payment. Although we do not know exactly when, in time, it will replace:

  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Housing benefit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Working Tax Credit

You don't need to do anything if you're already claiming any of these benefits; you'll be told when Universal Credit will affect you.

If you are claiming Universal Credit in another area of the country and move into our area, you will continue to claim Universal Credit when you move.

If you would also like to apply for help with your Council Tax you must apply to the Council.