Council Tax Reduction - Verification of documents

Last Updated:

Tonbridge and Malling Borough Council need to verify documents to prevent fraud and error and ensure that we give you the correct amount of Council Tax Reduction.

  • All evidence must be original documents, photocopies are not acceptable.
  • We will ask you to provide evidence of your identity.
  • You must provide evidence of your National Insurance Number, such as your P60, pay slip, National Insurance card or benefit book.

Original documents

Where you have to provide evidence, we must see the original document, not a photocopy. (You can take or send the evidence to our offices).

We must take a copy to keep on our files. We will return the original(s) to you as quickly as possible (normally the day after receipt by us).

We do not advise sending important documents in the post unless you use recorded or special delivery.

If you send in photocopies by mistake, we will write to you and ask you to send or bring in the original documents.

If you bring the original documents to our offices, we will issue a receipt for the documents.

Evidence of identity

With every new application for a Council Tax Reduction you must provide documentary proof of your identity and if you have a partner you must provide documentary proof for them also. The documents must be original and not photocopies. The acceptable forms of identification are listed below (we require two different items of available):-

  • Bank statement (less than four weeks old)
  • Benefit payment book
  • Your most recent electricity, gas or telephone bill in your name
  • Wage slips
  • Birth certificate
  • Certificate of employment in HM Forces
  • Certificate of employment in Merchant Navy
  • Divorce/annulment papers
  • Driving Licence
  • Identity card issued by EU member state
  • Life Assurance/Insurance policies
  • Marriage certificate/Civil partnership certificate
  • National Insurance Card
  • Passport (current and valid)
  • UK residence permit

Once you have completed and submitted your Council Tax Reduction application form, whenever you contact the office the staff will ask you to confirm your identity.

Evidence of your National Insurance Number

Please supply one of the following items to verify your National Insurance number and, if you have a partner, an item to verify theirs also. The acceptable items are :-

  • National Insurance Card
  • Payslip
  • P45 or P60
  • Tax notification from the Inland Revenue
  • Notification letter from the DWP or Pension Service
  • Benefit book
  • Bank statement for the self employed paying class 2 contributions

If you cannot provide this information, we will contact the Department for Works and Pensions (DWP), which should be able to provide us with this information. It would obviously be to your advantage if you could provide us with the information. If we have to contact the DWP, this will cause a delay in dealing with your application. We will not be able to give any Council Tax Reduction without this information.

Other information

Council Tax Reduction is means-tested and you must therefore be prepared to provide all details regarding income and capital to support your application.

The application form also requests information regarding other members of your household (called non-dependants) and details of their income and capital.