Last Updated:

Properties occupied only by students

If the only resident is a full time student, or all the residents at an address are full time students, the property is exempt from council tax.

A student is a person who is;

1)undertaking a full time course of education at a prescribed educational establishment.

We will need to see proof of the details of the course the student is enrolled on. This will usually be in the form of a "student exemption certificate" which the student can obtain from the admissions office of the college or university he is attending.

Unfortunately, a written offer of a place from the college or university, a notice of a grant award or a student union membership card is not sufficient proof.


2) under the age of 20 and undertaking a course of further education.

We will need to see proof that the person is continuing their education. This can be in the form of a letter from the school or college on their headed paper confirming the person's name, age and period of the course they are undertaking.


3) a foreign language assistant

We will need to see proof that the person is a foreign language assistant. This can usually be provided by the educational establishment where they are appointed as such.

If you think a member of your household should be disregarded, please email us. Alternatively, you can contact the council tax team on 01732 876388.If all the occupants at your address are disregarded as full time students we will apply an exemption to the council tax account.