Care home

Last Updated:

When a property is usually only occupied by one person and that person has left their home to live elsewhere in order to receive personal care or treatment, the property may be exempt from council tax.

The person might have moved to live with a relative, in a nursing home, a residential care home, a hostel or an independent hospital.

If you think that your property should be exempt, please email us. Alternatively, you can contact the council tax team on 01732 876388.

In order that we can deal with your application will you please tell us;

  • The name, address and telephone number of the home, hostel or hospital you are living in and the date you moved there, or
  • Your new address and the date you moved there.

In this circumstance we will need to confirm that it was necessary for you to move to this address to receive care so please tell us as much as you can about your situation.