Away studying

Last Updated:

The property is exempt providing that when last occupied it was the sole or main residence of that student and that no one else, other than students, lived there. If they were not a student when they left the address they must have become a qualifying student within six weeks of leaving the property. The exemption only applies for as long as they remain a student.

Apprentices and Youth Training trainees are not included as students for the purpose of this exemption.

A student is a person who is;

1) Undertaking a full time course of education at a prescribed educational establishment.

We will need to see proof of the details of the course the student is enrolled on. This will usually be in the form of a 'student exemption certificate' which the student can obtain from the admissions office of the college or university.

Unfortunately, a written offer of a place from the college or university, a notice of a grant award or a student union membership card is not sufficient proof


2) Under the age of 20 and undertaking a course of further education.

We will need to see proof that the person is continuing their education. This can be in the form of a letter from the school or college on their headed paper confirming the person's name, age and period of the course they are undertaking.


3) A foreign language assistant

We will need to see proof that the person is a foreign language assistant. This can usually be provided by the educational establishment where they are appointed as such.

If you think your property should be exempt from council tax, please email us. Alternatively you can contact the council tax team on 01732 876388.