Changes to council tax empty property discount from 1 April 2019
If you are the liable person for council tax for a property that is unoccupied and substantially unfurnished, the amount of the discount is changing from 1 April 2019.
Previously empty properties were entitled to a locally defined discount of 100% of the charge for the first month the property is empty. From 1 April 2019 this discount is being removed. This means that if your property has been empty for more than one month at 1 April 2019, you will no longer be entitled to a discount from that date.
- If you move home you can advise us by using the moving home within the borough form or moving home out of the borough form on our website or by calling the Council Tax office on 01732 876388
- Landlords can advise of tenancy changes by email or by calling the Council Tax office on 01732 876388
- If you are unsure whether you are entitled to a discount you can email or telephone the Council Tax office on 01732 876388 for advice. Please give as much information as you can about the circumstances.
Please note that we cannot tell you whether or not the property you are intending to buy or rent is currently vacant. You will need to establish this information from the estate agent or managing agent.
Properties that have been empty for longer than 2 years will be charged a premium of 100%.
If you do not already have plans for bringing your home back into use, the Council wants to help. We can offer free advice and guidance to help identify the best options available including:
- Free advice on renovation works where the property is in a poor condition.
- 'No Use Empty' loan - Interest free loans may be available up to a maximum of £25,000 where the property has been empty for six months or longer, subject to terms and conditions.