Student Nurses

Last Updated:

Student nurses may be disregarded for council tax purposes. This means they would not be included when we count the number of occupants at their address.

Some students will be enrolled on a full time course of education at a college or university. For council tax purposes they will be disregarded as full time students and not as student nurses.

In order to disregard a student we will need to see proof of the details of the course they are enrolled on. This will usually be in the form of a "student exemption certificate" which the student can obtain from the admissions office of the college or university they are attending. Unfortunately, a written offer of a place from the college or university or a student union membership card is not sufficient proof.

Student nurses may be disregarded if they are following a course which will lead to registration on the UK Central Council Register for Nursing, Midwifery and Health Visiting. Proof will be required of the details of the course being followed.

If you think a member of your household should be disregarded then please email us. Alternatively, you can contact the council tax team on 01732 876388.