Certain categories of people are disregarded (not counted) for council tax purposes. If no-one in your home is counted, you are entitled to a 50% discount. If only one person is counted, the discount is 25%.
The following groups of people may be disregarded subject to the necessary proof of entitlement being provided:
- People in detention
- The severely mentally impaired
- Anyone for whom child benefit is payable
- School and college leavers
- Student Nurses
- Youth training trainees
- Residents of nursing or care homes
- Care workers
- Care providers - caring for someone with a disability who is not a spouse, partner or child under 18
- People living in religious communities
- Members and dependants of visiting forces
- Non - British spouses of students (if not allowed to work in the UK)
If you feel that you may be entitled to a discount then please email us or contact the council tax team on 01732 876388. Please ensure that you provide your council tax account number. We may need to ask you for further information to support claim.