Reductions for disabilities

Last Updated:

If your home has been constructed or adapted to meet the needs of a disabled person who lives there, your council tax band may be reduced by one. For example, if your property is in Band D, we would only charge you the council tax for a Band C property.

To qualify for a reduction, your home must contain one of the following:

  • A room (other than a bathroom, kitchen or toilet) used mainly by the disabled person,
  • An additional bathroom or kitchen for use by the disabled person,
  • Extra space inside the dwelling to allow for the use of a wheelchair

If you feel that you may be entitled to a reduction, you will need to complete the disabled relief form and send it back to us. Because you have to sign the form, this cannot be done on-line. We may also need to visit your home in order to check the claim. If so, we will contact you to arrange a suitable appointment.