Universal Credit

Last Updated:

Universal Credit has been introduced by the Government to replace various benefits for working-age people who are on a low income. It is being administered by the Department for Work and Pensions and will be introduced gradually to replace the following benefits:

  • Income Support
  • Income Based Job Seeker's Allowance
  • Income Related Employment Support Allowance
  • Housing Benefit
  • Working Tax Credit/Child Tax Credit

Universal Credit has now been rolled out to all new claimants living in our borough.

This means that you need to claim your housing costs through Universal Credit, unless you:

  • have reached state pension age;
  • live in supported accommodation (The landlord will be a registered charity or housing association and the tenancy will include some degree of support for the tenant or family);
  • are in temporary accommodation placed by our Housing Options Team.

If you don't fall into one of these categories you will need to make a claim for your housing costs through Universal Credit.

Help From Citizens Advice

You can get help completing a Universal Credit claim from Citizens Advice. A drop-in service is available at Tonbridge Gateway from 1pm to 4pm. You can get further advice from them by telephoning 01732 373825 or contacting the Maidstone Jobcentre.

Council Tax Reduction

Although you may need to claim Universal Credit for your housing costs we still administer support for Council Tax. If you wish to apply for Council Tax Reduction. please complete the form and send it to us.